Avoiding your feelings

 


A lot of us most probably grew up avoiding uncomfortable feelings and pushing them away. We often labelled them as "good" and "bad" and we weren't educated enough on how to feel our feelings, how to process them or the effects they have on our physical and emotional health. 

I believe that suppressing negative feelings once in a while can be absolutely necessary and appropriate but it can sometimes become an issue if it becomes a pattern, and it can lead to a decline of our emotional wellbeing. 

The moment I process my feelings, I learn to understand, make sense of and deal with them in healthy, productive ways. However when a unpredictable situation occurs, I usually perform a delayed reaction. Learning to process my feelings takes time and it doesn't always come naturally. I get disconnected on a heated moment, loses it and regrets thereafter. But mind you, I don't say sorry at all. 

Especially when I feel number, empty and black. I find it very difficult to calm myself down if I'm not too careful on how to handle my emotional outburst.

- iannmarie









No comments:

Post a Comment